My general approach to therapy is one of integration. As we work toward your personal development, we keep in mind that you are an embodied self, as well as a purposeful and social being – and that there is also something deep and essential in you. We have space to explore your sense of self, your relationships, and your career – all as needed. I fundamentally want to help you become free from unconscious blocks so that you can be your true self – and live fully, happily, and effectively.
I work primarily with adolescents and adults and have been a therapist in community, university, and hospital settings.
Regarding therapy, I believe that in addition to what is essential (essence, self, soul, core, psyche) in us, we have learned much of how we think, feel, and behave from our history and from our environment. Throughout our lives we make the best choices we can based on our experiences and beliefs. At some point, though, it becomes clear that what we are thinking, feeling, and doing is just not working for us anymore – and is keeping us from being who we really, or from achieving what is important to us. In short, what helped us survive while growing up may now bind and imprison us.
These troublesome blocks to being and expressing who we are show up both psychologically and physically – in our bodies. They impact our energy level, how we carry ourselves, and in tensions and habits of which we may be unaware. Given this, I believe there is much value in working with these habits or blocks through body awareness , movement, and expression in addition to verbally exploring, understanding, and working through those blocks (psychoanalytically and otherwise).
My areas of experience in therapy:
- Depression and anxiety
- Stress and trauma recovery
- Issues of authenticity, meaning, and purpose
- Somatic (body-mind) approaches to psychotherapy
- Depth psychology, psychoanalysis, and Jungian approaches
- Personality type – Jungian and other
- Integrating personal and spiritual development
- Mind-body health
- Gender identity and expression
- Career planning and transitions
Explore the site to learn more about my areas of specialty, including:
- Body-mind (somatic) psychology and psychotherapy
- Transpersonal (psychospiritual) psychology
- Career, calling, and lifework concerns
- Issues of gender identity and expression
In our work together, you can gain new experiences, explore new self definitions, try out new behaviors, receive feedback and support, and develop new and empowering beliefs.