Psychotherapy Counseling Gainesville FL
Psychotherapy is an intensive professional relationship, and I see therapy as a partnership – with us working in a way that is tailored to your needs.
My general approach to therapy is one of integration. As we work toward your personal development, we keep in mind that you are an embodied self, as well as a purposeful and social being – and that there is also something deep and essential in you. We have space to explore your sense of self, your relationships, and your career – all as needed. I fundamentally want to help you become free from unconscious blocks so that you can be your true self – and live fully, happily, and effectively.
Adolescent and Adult Therapy
I work primarily with adolescents and adults (of all ages) and have been a counselor and therapist in community, university, and hospital settings – and have been a licensed psychologist in practice for over twenty-five years.
Regarding therapy, I believe that in addition to what is essential (essence, self, soul, core, psyche) in us, we have learned much of how we think, feel, and behave from our history and from our environment. Throughout our lives we make the best choices we can based on our experiences and beliefs. At some point, though, it becomes clear that what we are thinking, feeling, and doing is just not working for us anymore – and is keeping us from being who we really, or from achieving what is important to us. In short, what helped us survive while growing up may now bind and imprison us.
These troublesome blocks to being and expressing who we are show up both psychologically and physically – in our bodies. They impact our energy level, how we carry ourselves, and in tensions and habits of which we may be unaware. Given this, I believe there is much value in working with these habits or blocks through body awareness , movement, and expression in addition to verbally exploring, understanding, and working through those blocks (psychoanalytically and otherwise).
My areas of experience in counseling and therapy:
- Depression and anxiety
- Stress management and trauma recovery – including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Existential issues of authenticity, meaning, and purpose
- Body (somatic) psychotherapy
- Depth psychology and psychoanalytic approaches
- Transpersonal psychology – integrating psychospiritual practices and nonordinary experiences into everyday life
- Mindfulness, meditation, and awareness training and support
- Sexuality and gender identity/expression
- Career planning and transitions
To learn more about my specialties, visit those specific topic pages here:
In our work together, you can take your life back from flatness, agitation, distracting symptoms, interrupted strivings, and limited connections – and you can gain new experiences. You can explore new self-definitions, try out new behaviors, receive feedback and support, and develop new and empowering beliefs and perspectives.
Through counseling and therapy, it’s possible to go beyond merely reducing symptoms and discomfort – and to move forward to having a greater sense of vitality, pleasure and meaning. You can live more freely the path that is yours to live, and connect with others more authentically.
- See here to learn about fees for counseling and psychotherapy and possible insurance coverage.
- Consultative and coaching services are available in person as well as virtually via phone and teleconference. Consultative services are not covered by insurance.
Contact Dr. Martin today to talk about working together to help address your concerns and your barriers to living life more fully.